Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Working With a Pro

What a great opportunity I had today thanks to my department chair! We are always trying to find more/different methods and practices to improve our own classrooms.  In order to see what a professional in a different content area does to promote student learning, I went to visit a Latin class during first period (Thanks, Mr. B, for getting a sub to cover my Biology class!). But not only did I go to Latin class, it just so happens to be as former Indiana Teacher of the Year! It amazed me enough that the Teacher of the Year works in my building, but on top of it, I was able to see how he works his magic everyday and then share that with my colleagues in the Science Department. 

I love the set up of his room.  There are ribbons for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place that create a banner all along the wall as you enter the room. There are posters from movies such as 300, Passion of the Christ, or Julius Caesar framed and hanging on the walls (maybe I should put some up of Biology movies...?).  He has multiple book shelves FULL of books. REAL books, not just the class textbooks. There are figurines from the Greek/Roman stories everywhere.  He even has a Roman suit of armor on a mannequin in the corner.


The desks in the room are situated nicely for movement and attention of the students.  Instead of being what I call the "graveyard arrangement" (students lined in straight rows from front to back of the classroom), there were 4 sections--one in the middle with two students per row, then diagonal rows on either side of them, and a chunk of desks at the back.  He uses all of that space the entire class period and with such ease.  In my classroom (and I have taken my complaints up with my boss--consideration is taking place), we have lab benches as desks.  It is nice because it leaves a lot of working space when we do actual labs, but they run electricity to the desks for the use of microscopes, so they are bolted to the floor, ergo, not able to change the seating arrangement; my students are in the graveyard arrangement forever (unless my suggestions are acted upon...).

One of the great parts of Mr. Perkins' teaching is that 95%+ of his students are engaged at all times and so many of them are participating.  They raise their hands to answer the questions, and he never makes them feel bad about getting the question wrong, but rather explains where their thinking missed a turn.  There was a point where 7 students had their hands raised to answer a question (he asks tons of questions), but none of them were called on due to his reply, "All the people here have already answered today.  Let's get an answer from someone new if we can." There was hesitation from the students who didn't have the answer yet.  Then, Mr. Perkins looked at a student and, while tapping his chin, said, "Austin, I'm thinking of calling on you for this." And he repeated the question.  The student didn't get it right, but Perkins reassured the student and then asked if another person was going to be ready if he called on them.  This second student was correct and the first exclaimed how that was going to be his answer.

There were so many great things about being in the room.  I took notes to share with my colleagues. I'm looking forward to what others found out during their observations in English and Algebra classes.  I thought it was such an uncommon and completely useful way to learn different teaching styles and methods! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment