Monday, June 8, 2015

3 Weeks of Ownership

Where have I been lately, you ask? Mostly Lowes, Menards, and antique stores. Oh, and at the house working. Performing the updates and changes for a 40-year-old house seems right up my alley...until it takes forrrrrrevvvvvvverrr!

The items that we decided to tackle first:



  • Paint master bedroom
  • Paint laundry room
  • Paint half bath
  • Tile laundry room
  • Paint remaining unpainted trim
    • kitchen
    • kitchen windows
    • laundry room window
    • dining room
    • half bath
    • master bedroom
  • Install 6-panel doors (5 totally rehung)
  • New trim around new doors
  • New toilet seats
  • New light fixtures for master bath, half bath, and hallways
  • Clean tile grout in master bath and upstairs bath
  • New door handles and locks
  • Bomb for bugs
  • Front landscape

In the three weeks of "being in" this house, we are still not moved in--no sense in getting paint on everything if it isn't necessary--but we have completed all of this except for the landscape. This is incredibly impressive to me since I tend to get discouraged/tired/distracted (squirrel!)/angry during huge projects.

What I've taken away from this: I HATE PAINTING WINDOW TRIM

That has been my Vietnam. But boy, does it look good now!

Before:
Hey, babe! And hey, light fixture...your end is near...


Two coats in:
I didn't think the primer and paint would ever cover it all. 

After (4 coats. Maybe 5. Ugh.) :
So long, light fixture

Hello, new light fixture! Found at an antique store

Aaaaand as we pulled the tape off of any paint that the previous owners had done, much of the paint came up with it. Grr.

So that set me back when I thought that I was finished painting... It happened all over the place. Ah, well; I guess everything gets a fresh coat. Going around and touching up is my last job before the move.

It was nice to have an impromptu cookout with Cole and his roommates the other day. Everyone pitched in a bit :)

Under the paper towels there is BACON! A whole damn plate of it!--Grumpier Old Men reference. But seriously, a ton of bacon :)

Ok.. All the hard work we've been putting in:

Laundry room tile
Wall color: Mindful Gray - Sherwin Williams

Tile: Lowes Fossil Stone Gray

Lots of help from Big Jim! For those wondering about his elbow sleeve: it's a Tommie Copper compression sleeve. He says that it's helping a lot!

Planning to fully update this bathroom with new countertop and faucet, too. Light fixture: Lowes

Color: Agreeable Gray from Sherwin Williams. Light fixture: Lowes

New doors being installed. Thanks, Jake for all of your help with these!

We haven't chosen a new door, yet. This is currently displeasing to the aesthetics. Also, I'm teaching Dot to look through the window. She's never had one at her height before to know how to anticipate visitors. 

DIY: kitchen table
I was given the kitchen table from my grandmother's house to put in our kitchen. So far, we have removed the varnish from the top and almost all of the paint from the legs, which doesn't want to let go. #separationproblems

Of the products used, the 30 minute paint-on to the right worked best on the top, and the spray works "best" on the legs. My arms are so tired from scrubbing.  Oh, and the center product hasn't had a chance to do any solo work, so I have no info for you.

The varnish and stain didn't even want to stay on there.

Fresh for dark walnut stain--maybe tomorrow?:


Versus the paint on the legs


Stubborn SOB. I will let you know how it turns out, though!

Alright, I'd better get back to work so that we can start being here full-time. See you!

No comments:

Post a Comment