Sunday, January 12, 2014

Movies Lately

For date night during this cold snow storm, Cole and I ventured to the movie theater for a sneak-preview of Her, directed by Spike Jonze, starring Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, and Scarlett Johansson movie in which ScarJo is the voice of "Samantha," an operating system that Joaquin Phoenix begins to "date."  

Because of my struggle to travel on the roads in the weather--a 13-minute drive took a full hour--and for sneak-preview movies they do not play the "regular-movie" previews that buffer our arrival time, we missed the first few minutes of the movie.  Since it was my fault for being late, I volunteered to retrieve popcorn and snacks.  I absolutely LOVED this movie and highly recommend it (to those 18 and older, of course).  I wasn't sure what time period the movie was based in, so I had loads of ideas for how it might end, and I was not disappointed.  Keep an open mind for a few parts of this movie; some things get a little weird, but we were cracking up left and right.


Photo c/o imdb.com

On Friday night, we had quiet night in and watched Safety Not Guaranteed and Frances Ha.  We actually saw Safety Not Guaranteed a while back as another sneak-preview.  I just LOVE this movie, it is so funny and quirky.  It is about a girl (Aubrey Plaza) who is trying to become a journalist.  So far, she is merely an intern who is only allowed to run errands and perform janitor duties at a magazine.  A writer (Jake Johnson) decides to take two interns to do an article on a man who placed a classified ad seeking a partner to travel in time. The ad read as follows: 

"WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED."

Honestly, how could you NOT want to see this? The movie also stars Mark Duplass from The League. Do yourself a favor, and watch this one.


photo c/o imdb.com


We then watched Frances Ha because it had good reviews and I loved Greta Gerwig in Arthur. I thought the movie was okay. It was filmed in black and white, which I suppose made it great for those who focus on the picture itself rather than the story.  I couldn't decide if I liked Frances, the character, or if I found her extremely annoying.  Since I still couldn't decide by the end of the movie, I focused on the fact that it was filmed in black and white and I knew that I would not have found it as endearing of a movie had it been filmed in color. Don't get me wrong, there were many moments in the movie that made me giggle and I was glad that I had watched it, but I don't think I'll be watching it a second time. View as you choose.


photo c/o imdb.com



One that I did not mention seeing a while back (another sneak-preview--Cole gets tickets for them all the time. I'm a lucky girl!) was Inside Llewyn Davis.  This movie is about a week in the life of a folk singer--think Mumford and Sons-- trying to make it in New York in the year 1961. I thought that the plot line was a bit thin and a lot of questions left unanswered, but I definitely enjoyed the music from this movie.

Favorite song in the movie: Fare Thee Well. There is another version of this recorded with Marcus Mumford, but I prefer the one that was played during the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment