Sunday, November 16, 2014

Always Ready for Christmas

Halloween tends to sneak up on me each year. But once it has come and gone, I am ready for the two feast-filled holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas. As posted previously, my students and I have been writing one thing that we are thankful for each school day of November. This also connects with our IB Learner profile trait of the month: reflective. With two weeks down and one to go, we will have over 2,000 leaves and things to be thankful for. 



I have been thinking of what to do with all of the paper after the end of the month and have concluded to use it as fire starter. So no worries about what some have seen as "waste."

On another note, Christmas is around the corner! I have challenged myself to wearing a Christmas sweater for each of the school days in December. I encouraged my students to join in the fun whether it be a Christmas, Hanukkah, or simply an ugly sweater. 

With hand-me-downs from both my grandmother and grandma as well as a few purchases over the years, I have compiled 8 sweaters/sweatshirts/vests. Today, using felt, old and no-longer-used sweaters, and inspiration from the Grinch's Whobilation sweater and Rudolph from the Christmas Classics, I created two more sweaters for the line up.



To make these, I bought felt squares and cut out the shapes. I used fabric adhesive to stick them on while wearing the sweaters--I didn't want to have awkward stretching to occur later. 

I still need to do some sewing to make the attachment permanent, but Future Chelsea will take care of that.  I can't wait for December to wear these and to hopefully find/inherit/develop five more sweaters!

There is the Drumstick Dash on Thanksgiving morning and the Ugly Sweater Run on December 13th. Perhaps I'll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment